Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Walking over the wall


I don't know exactly how this came to me. It could have been the sleep. You know, they say if you sleep on things sometimes you get an answer. It could have been the roller skating. It could have been simply stepping back from the problem itself.

In any case, I realized all of a sudden what the solution was to my wall of frustration that I hit yesterday. Instead of trying to focus on just one course of action as the "right" one I should take, I decided to divide up my time in proportions that seemed to fit my goals. So, I plan to read and learn more about freelancing for a certain amount of time each day, I plan to write quick pieces that I can get paid for a certain amount of time, to look for more work a certain amount, to market my skills a certain amount, to write more long term assignments (such as articles that could take months to hear abut and even novel ideas I have). I don't know exactly how much time should be devoted to which thing yet, but I do know that's the solution for me. Yay! Whew!

Oh, and the roller skating part. I went, for the first time in years, to the roller rink! That was such fun and great exercise! It also - and I promised that I would find one to write about - is going to be the topic of my next article. did you realize that there is etiquette at the rink? Well, there is! And I even have access to some folks to interview. I started looking in Writer's Market last night for places that might be good for wanting that type of article. Haven't settled on one yet, but am in the process.

Another milestone: I got offered a job to write a steady stream of articles for a company! WOOHOO!! It is low pay for what they call Tier 1 writers, but if you do a good job, they bump you up fairly quickly. I have a friend doing this, and he is very pleased so far.

3 comments:

  1. Your article on roller rink etiquette sounds intriguing.
    I say send it to not one, but all, of the publications you think could pick it up! Can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck to you, Kollette. I admire your courage in opening yourself up so willingly to anyone who might stumble upon your writings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Amy, for the advice.
    And, thank you, Kim, for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete